Monday, July 7, 2008

I am the King of Rejection-land

No this is not about my love life. I mean, it could be, nothing's changed there, but it isn't. No, this is about a different and completely new form of rejection for me.

I finally heard back from the Weird Tales people (only took 6 weeks when they said it would be 2-4, but waddayagonnado). They rejected my story. Short, curt note saying it wasn't what they were looking for but to keep them in mind for future submissions. They also said not to submit anything new for 2 weeks as they are backlogged, so that explains that. Of course I'm disappointed, but I'm not surprised. Par for the course, eh? Chances of getting my very first submitted story published? Yeah right. Well, it was nice to dream.

I think I'll make that sort of a life goal. To get one of my stories published before I die. That'd be nice. I wonder if Weird Tales would like my zombie story.....

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It is wonderful that you sent it but shitty that they said no. I thought it was quite a good story and since I'm always right and my opinion is fact then, y'know.

Anyway, no one gets picked to dance their first time out. No one. Don't let it bug you for more than the amount of time it takes for that to sink in and get right back on the horse. Submit the story to other people starting...now!

The Taco Prophet said...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. (I know, I know, doctor, heal thyself and such, but I'm still right, and you know it)

Nobody gets published their first time, and the story was quite good. Send it to new people. Keep sending it. It will get published, I know that.

And keep sending stuff to Weird Tales. They'll get to know your name, and good things will happen. Because dude, seriously, you're talented.

fett said...

Yeah, I wasn't HUGELY disappointed, like I said I saw it coming. It wasn't an "OH GOD WHY ME, WHY HAST THOUGH FORSAKEN ME I SHALL TEAR MY CLOTHES AND ROLL IN THE DUST." It was more an "awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww damnit. Oh well."

And I don't know where you are getting those whole "talented" thing. I went and reread some of my stuff this morning. It is such CRAP. I completely flubbed the climax of Pebbleman, and my zombie story has bad pacing. Strangely enough, I actually liked Thomas Waits. Maybe not so much the writing, but I thought it was a fairly inventive little snippet. I love when the things break apart.

AND COYOTE STILL HAS TO SUBMIT TO THE WORKSHOP OR HE'S MY BITCH. Get cracking, son, October is fast approaching.

suyapi said...

Platitudes, platitudes and hugs.

And you're WAY to hard on your writing, says I. What I've was DAMN good. Of course, the push to always make yourself better isn't necessarily a bad thing.