Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Let's take him out back

[Sydney is unaware the President is listening]
Sydney Ellen Wade: Your boss is the chief executive of fantasy land!
President Andrew Shepherd: Well, let's take him out back and beat the shit out of him!
- The American President

Well, the election is upon us. I shall try to avoid partisanship (*cough*GO OBAMA*cough*), but I hope everyone got out there and voted. I'm curious to see what the voter turnout will be. I voted this morning. I've been looking forward to it, even avoiding early voting because I want to be part of the event. I'm proudly wearing the sticker. It's amazing the power a sticker can have. I've become more and more interested in politics as I've gotten older. Part of it is the natural sense of civic duty that comes from aging. Part of it comes from the fact that my source of income is dependent on federal funding. I'm not above my wallet. Less wars, more sciences please.

A rotator in my lab is hosting an election returns party tonight (a Dip for Obama party...). I'm not going. For one, I'm not particularly fond of this person. She comes off as very girly girl, very flibbertigibbet, and I don't like that personality type. I could be wrong. This is once again me avoiding a possibility of meeting new people. Shut up, I don't want to hear it. And for two, my mother is going to call tonight to discuss the results, which I can't really do at a party. Plus it would cut into my WoW time.

So I'm going to follow my election night tradition (at least I'm making it my tradition). I'm going to watch the election results while drinking Jim Beam rye whiskey (that stuff'll put hair on your chest) until I get bored and play WoW with the election results in the background. There is only so much fun I can have with this. It just won't be the same without James, Matt and Tasha. Some of the best fun of my life hanging with them watching election results and debates.

I miss you guys. I really miss you guys.

Besides, we won't know the results for sure until tomorrow morning. And, in the end, whoever wins president, it won't really matter. And that's a good thing. Those founding fathers were really damn smart. While some of the specifics may need to change, the underlying principle behind our system of government is built to make sure that no single person can really screw up this country that much. Division of power, checks and balances. Sure the president is the single most powerful person in the country (ok, outside of Bill Gates. And Tom Brady. And Alan Greenspan. But you get my meaning) but he/she isn't all powerful. I love this country.

Oh, and Blue/Kev, just to prove I'm not completely a partisan, I didn't vote democrat down the line. I voted for the libertarian gubernatorial candidate and a couple republican local offices. A judicial seat, the coroner, couple other places.

*walks away humming the Battle Hymn of the Republic*

6 comments:

suyapi said...

"While some of the specifics may need to change..."

I vote that we don't have campaigning for their entire terms. I want to blow someone's brains out every time another political ad comes on. Plus then they might actually get stuff done.

Well, maybe not.

Larriken said...

I wrote my own name in for all the local offices instead of voting for the mass of unknowns who were too goddamn lazy to reach out and introduce themselves.

What the hell was I thinking??

What if I actually...

Win??

Karn said...

I agree with blue. That was the most humble speech I have heard in a while. I raised my glass to him when he was done. I just with that he would have admonished his crowd a little more. Either way, the man is one classy act.

fett said...

It was a good speech, and John McCain seems like a good egg. Under other circumstances I may have voted for him. But he was running against my boy Barack. Plus, I think his campaign really got far away from his politics of years ago. He used to be closer to a libertarian. I was pulling for him to beat Bush in the primaries back in 2000. Unfortunately it didn't go that way.

Unknown said...

I stayed up to the end of Obama's speech and was crazy tired all day. Totally worth it.

Re: McCain.

His speech last night was the first time in a long time that I felt respect for him. Let's keep that going, shall we? Return to the politics you used to have and abandon the far right please.

Palin is still a fucking imbecile though. There's no getting around that.

DoodleLemon said...

I remember everything about November 4th, 2008. That was about the time when I first began to have some self-respect. (*No worries! It cleared up over time.)
I've climbed the Fettblog ladder this far, and I've concluded that we're similar models of the same personality. I'm basically you, if you had studied English literature instead of the sciences. (**Be glad you studied the sciences instead of English lit!)
Anyway, there is probably no chance that you'll ever see these replies to a dead blog from some stranger who's got her batteries installed upside-down, but I've found your style of journaling quite enthralling - and in a peculiar way, inspiring enough to get me writing again. (☆Oh, how I hope to uncover a link to your Pebbleman story in this blog as I slog forth!)
I do hope that you're okay, Fett... oh yes! My kitty-cat's name happens to be Fetty. I'm not really sure why. He just looked like a Fetty to me, I guess.