Wednesday, February 25, 2009

With apologies to Taco

I'm stealing his COTD format. This is a snippet of conversation from Coyote trying to convince me to submit a story to some writers workshop, of which I was predictably evasive about agreeing to.

Fett: I have to go do some work, you have 15-20 minutes to convince me A) that I should submit something and B) that I should write something new for it.
Aaaaaaaand go

CoyoteExile: What's to convince? A workshop that is directed at the weirder end of the spectrum, unlike the others. With a roster of instructors that makes me want to camp outside the hotel even when they turn me down. I've talked to a few people that have gotten in and they rave about it like a life changing event

CoyoteExile: Even not getting in is a plus in that it motivates you to not only write but to write to impress

CoyoteExile: The guy that runs the thing and runs Borderlands Press besides has told me before that plugging away is critical. People will eventually remember your name from multiple submittals and start giving you more of their time, even if they say no

CoyoteExile: Plus, I'll tell Blue if you don't

Fett: the last one is probably the most critical point

CoyoteExile: Yep

8 comments:

suyapi said...

It's amazing how much fear of Blue's disapproval will make you do things.

Tim said...

It's the fear of the /mom. It's been known to wither men with a mere glance.

Unknown said...

I'm gonna tell!

The Taco Prophet said...

I do believe you've been trumped, fett. Better do what the man says.

suyapi said...

Sorry, the you was a generic all people. Should have written "will make one do things." Cause I'm afeared of that disapproval, too.

Unknown said...

Neener.

fett said...

I consent to nothing.

fett said...

I believe my exact response was: I've had an idea rolling around in my head for a while (read: years) and if I can get it on paper before the deadline I'll submit it. Considering I've been thinking about it a lot since talking to Coyote and I still can't figure out how I want to do it, I wouldn't get your hopes up.