Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Third time, perhaps it will be the charm

I got another date tomorrow night. This will be the third person I've gone out with from this internet dating "bidness". We'll see how it goes. We're just going out to see Iron Man.

This is the geek girl. I'm not exactly sure of her geek credentials, but they seem about as legit as mine. She likes Star Trek and Star Wars, collects figures of Captain Kirk, reads David Eddings and Neil Gaiman. Plus, as a benefit, she knows about old movies. She was able to, without provocation, mention the little known Cary Grant/Irene Dunne movie My Favorite Wife, which I love. I was impressed.

So this one has some potential. I say that because I think this woman is a little smitten with me. We've talked on the phone twice now. For 3 hours each time. She seems into me. Me, I'm being more reserved. Once bitten, twice shy, all that. We'll see. I'm playing it slow. I hope she's as pretty as her picture.

There is one thing that...well...it doesn't bother me, but I find it really odd. She never went to college. Got out of high school, got a job. She doesn't seem to be a loser. She's worked at the same place for 9 years, gotten promotions and what not. Just never went to college. It's not a bad thing. It's just...I never EVER would've guessed I'd become involved with someone that didn't go to college. I mean, those are the circles I travel in. I work at colleges, in college towns. I had automatically assumed that anyone I ended up with would have at least some connection to some university some where. I just find it odd. The only real problem it presents is a slight lack of common ground. She won't know exactly what I'm talking about when I talk about my college or grad school days. Not worried about it, just thought I'd mention it.

3 comments:

suyapi said...

Yeah, that's a bit surprising about the whole college thing. Hm...I always recommend people go to college (away from their home town and not living with parents, please), but then, none of my dad's side of the family went to college, and I always considered them rather intelligent and well rounded, so who knows.

Hope your date goes fabulous, and all that jazz.

fett said...

Blue, you are too awesome for college. But then again, you are too awesome for just about anything.

Anyways, I don't think it's going to work out. Why? Cause I'm a horrible person that's why. Turns out that she is NOT half as pretty as her picture, not by a long shot. I'm fairly certain the picture she used was very old, like from high school. And that bothers me for two reasons. One, she misrepresented herself. I hate that. I think I did a fairly accurate job representing myself. Two, I just don't find her physically attractive. I don't have unreasonable standards of beauty. Many women I'm attracted to aren't considered attractive by most standards. But this woman just isn't working for me, and I feel there has to be at least a modicum of physical attraction. The only question I ask about a persons looks is: is this a face I could wake up for the rest of my life. And in this case, no. Like I said, I'm a horrible person.

In any event, given that it was just a first impression, I figure I'll go out on one more date and see if my opinion changes. If it doesn't, I call it off. I may be desperate, but I'm not desperate enough to settle for a situation that doesn't work for me.

suyapi said...

First, Blue may be too awesome for the word awesome.

Second, you're not horrible. I completely agree with you on the physical attraction. I have been attracted to a very wide range of people in my life, but could absolutely not be with someone I just wasn't attracted to. Physical and mental compatibility both have to exist (I went out with a really hot woman years ago, and we could hardly have a conversation. I don't care how hot you are, I couldn't hack it with the limited conversation.)