Wednesday, March 26, 2008

There appears to be some unintentional side effects

Here is a funny story for you. About a week or so ago I get an email from some guy in my department asking if I or another person in my lab would like to switch our days for going over grad student practice talks. It's a pseudo-volunteer thing, it allows me to be critical of other people. So I'm like, sure, I'll switch days with you. He's all great, contact the person doing the talk this Wednesday (today), Anna, and get her papers so I can read them beforehand. I do so.

So yesterday I'm bopping around match.com because I'm a masochistic fuckhead who doesn't know when to cut his losses and give up. I see my view counter has gone up, some someone has checked out my profile. I hit the "who's viewed me" button. Huh, someone new, let's see who they are. Someone in Bloomington, eh? Hmmm, graduate student....in microbiology. Their screen name? Anna(somerandomnumber).

Oh come on.

Ayup.

Funny old world.

As an addendum to the story, she canceled her practice talk, to which I replied "Too bad, I wanted to see if you were the Anna(somerandomnumber) that checked me out on match.com yesterday. Which, if you were, would be slightly awkward but mostly hilarious."

It was her. She ain't interested in me, if you're getting any ideas. She wants someone athletic, or more specifically a "hunk of man" to which I replied was more of a "lump". I merely tell this story as something funny that came out of this online dating...fiasco is the word, I think.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tell her not to pass judgment until she's laid eyes on your hunk of man. Then show it to her. It'll be romantic.

The Taco Prophet said...

Damn right it'll be romantic. I can't even begin to express how turned on I am now.