Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Big hitter, the Lama

First posted 10-26-07

"So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."
- Caddyshack

So, I'm going to see the Dalai Lama tomorrow. Well, it's not like we're having beers or anything, but he's giving a "public talk". And by "public talk" I mean I only had to spend $25 for a ticket instead of $250 to get into one of his private classes.

I am of two minds about this. For one, I read one of his books, the Way to Freedom, and I find it surprisingly as close-minded as any other work by a religious leader. It was filled with lots of "this is the way it must be in this situation and I will brook no argument." On the other, it's the Lama, and how often am I going to get to see the Lama. And his main message is that of peace, which I can fully support. The title of the talk is "Compassion: the Road to Peace" or something like that. I am all for peace.

I am kind of hoping there is a question and answer session. I'm am taking suggestions for a question. I currently have two ideas.

1. How far have you ever taken one off the tee?
2. Can I rub your head for luck?

Also, tonight I'm going to Best Buy and if there is a Wii there I am buying it. I am a weak, weak man. And a friend of mine wants me to play co-op Force Commander when it comes out. That is going to be the shit.

Posted by Bluejeangirlnc @ 10/29/2007 04:54 PM PDT
Your silence has a devising conspiracy theories.

My current fav is that you've bought a wii and have played it so much you're laying on the floor in front of the tv unable to move anymore. Oh.. and giggling of course wondering if Mario is a Bears fan!

~Blue
Posted by Bluejeangirlnc @ 10/28/2007 08:29 AM PDT
Ok.. so you've seen him.. what'd you ask him? Is he a Bears fan?
Posted by Bluejeangirlnc @ 10/26/2007 11:02 PM PDT
I think you should invite him to come over and play with your wii.

What? The nintendo guys come to your door and say they want to play! Haven't you seen the commercials?
Posted by Coyote @ 10/26/2007 05:52 PM PDT
"Lama, why do the goats faint?"
Posted by Taco @ 10/26/2007 03:15 PM PDT
Also, rather than asking a question, I think you should do my daughter's "diarrhea/shake your booty dance." How often do you get to do that for the Dalai Lama? I'm just sayin' is all.
Posted by Taco @ 10/26/2007 03:12 PM PDT
Taco loves you baby.

Find your wii: http://wii.findnearby.net/
Posted by Bluejeangirlnc @ 10/26/2007 03:10 PM PDT
Question: Is he a Bears fan?

What? I know you expected it!

The wii is all manner of goodness. Taco and I own them and they are all manner of awesome.

You're becoming one of us fett. Just so you've been warned.

No comments: