Wednesday, November 21, 2007

This poem...sucks?

First posted 9-7-07

"HEAD. PANTS. NOW."
- So I Married an Axe Murderer

(I'm convinced that movie would've done better at the box office if the title weren't so stupid)

So I've been writing lately. A lot. This in itself is not surprising given that I have actually been reading a lot lately. I haven't been on this instense of a reading streak in a long time. It's funny, so many of my friends are reading junkies, almost to a disturbing degree, and I'm not. Most of my free time is spent playing WoW, and before then it was watching movies (I really should get back to watching more movies). There was a time in my life, when I was a child, when I was a voracious reader. But not in many many years. And yet, I'm not really ashamed about it, even when talking to my literary friends. That's their thing, I've got my own thing.

But anyways, I had been reading a lot. I've kind of stumbled over the new Gibson book. Not because it's bad, it's just dense and confusing, like reading a later Herbert Dune book, and I'm not in the mood for that sort of thing. I've been craving Pratchett. And as per usual, after I read a lot, I start writing. The novel is...blech. I've put it aside for the moment and am working on my Pebbleman story. The surprising thing is that I actually like it. I like how it's turning out.

Granted, I'm still missing a "story". As I've written before I have troubles with plots. I create worlds, I have issues with plots. But there are other parts. Sort of a backstory I'm telling in a series of flashbacks. I really really like them, which is odd for me. This is also the first story I am writing out of sequence. It makes it harder, in my estimation, but the backstory stuff is what is tumbling around my mind so I want to get it down while it's still fresh. I'll fill in the other bits later. Coyote this is probably the story I'll share with you, but I haven't yet because there is just not enough there to see where it's going. When more of the framework is in, then you can watch the process happen. The process of writing a crap story that is...

No one else expressed interest in reading my stuff, but so it goes. Completely understandable.

What's funny is that where I can see the story going I could easily see people interpreting it as an allegory or metaphor for this and that. But I'm not writing it like that. I never do. I just write. If there is an allegory, it's unintentional.

And Inga, sorry if I've been bugging you lately.

Posted by Coyote @ 09/07/2007 10:42 PM PDT
You know I read everything that can't outrun me (luckily bad writing runs really fast) and I still say that Joker is like, "Hey I'm sending this off to Asimov's tomorrow" kind of thing.

I don't lie and I don't make it a habit to pull punched especially when it comes to writing which is something that is sacred to me.

I await the coming of the new stuff the way fat bitches await cake.

Also, movies are second only to books with me. I normally feel like I'm not watching enough of them no matter how many I watch so I get where you're coming from.
Posted by Inga @ 09/07/2007 06:11 PM PDT
Okay, contrary to popular belief, I do sometimes have to work at my job, and then I don't have time to talk to people. That's all it was.
Posted by Taco @ 09/07/2007 06:02 PM PDT
Blue called me a jackass the other day. Clearly, you've been a bad influence on her. She was sweet and kind and always frolicking with butterflies and bluebirds until you showed up. Then it's all "you're a jackass, Taco" and "I'm setting you on fire, Taco" and "suffer working with the offline db guys, Taco."

My life is misery.

Where was I? Oh yes, fondling your pant critters.

Also, I like the opening of Joker quite a bit. Don't change it.
Posted by fett @ 09/07/2007 02:35 PM PDT
You...um...what was it again? Oh, right, jackass. You jackass!

But I'm going to change it for today.

You Jackanapes!

Thought I say you reading that story. I still can't stand the opening.

PS My pants have seem to disappeared.
Posted by Taco @ 09/07/2007 12:23 PM PDT
In point of fact, I have only not bugged you because you said I could only have one, and I'm working on Joker. I've not read the whole thing yet, the blame for which I place squarely on work and life, as both have been rather rough lately, leaving me precious little time for things that require actual attention from me.

But your post does illuminate the fact that I've been shamefully remiss in letting you know I'm reading your stuff. I've held off because I haven't finished it.

I wholly agree with Coyote, though. Joker is extremely polished, and I love what I've seen so far. I'll try to give you more feedback when I've finished it, but based on what I know so far, I think that one's done. It's pretty. Write me more pretty things.

Once I finish it, I fully intend to read everything you've ever written. And you're going to let me. Or I'm not going to tell you about it any more when I dream that you have a transforming pirate boat.

Bitch.

Now I'm going to go back to feeling like shit about my own writing by comparison.

P.S. I'm undressing you with my mind. Is it working?

No comments: