Monday, November 26, 2007

I am the worldest largest softie

So, my fears were realized. It has happened. I have become totally addicted to Harry Potter. I finished the movies and have been reading the books, one after another. I bought the sixth and seventh books Friday night and by Sunday afternoon I had finished the sixth and started on the seventh.

I still maintain my position that JK Rowling isn't a particularly good writer, per se. But I will say this. Her character development is damn good, and she certainly is able to pack in a whoooooole lot of material into each book. In my stories I always struggle to have things, you know, happen. She has no such issue.

I think I like I like the sixth book the best so far. It has the most mature voice, the most humor, and well....BECAUSE I'M A BIG SOFTIE.

What do I mean by this? I'm a sucker for a romance. Completely and totally a sucker for them. I get completely carried away. And the sixth book has lots of romance. Let me put it this way. After I finished the sixth book I immediately looked up Ginny Weasley on the internet, and then rushed to read the epilogue of the last book before even starting it because if Harry didn't end up back with Ginny there was going to be an investigation. I was positively glowing after reading the part where they got together. It's all I thought about.

I'm going to cite a passage from the seventh book. This is Ginny giving Harry his 17th birthday present, filled with wonderful tension as Harry has broken off their relationship in order to protect Ginny from becoming a target.

-------------------------------------------------------

"Harry, will you come up here a moment?"
It was Ginny. Ron came to an abrupt halt, but Hermione took him by the elbow and tugged him on up the stairs. Feeling nervous, Harry followed Ginny into her room.
He had never been inside it before. It was small, but bright. There was a large poster of the Wizarding band the Weird Sisters on one wall, and a picture of Gwenog Jones, Captain of the all-witch Quidditch team the Holyhead Harpies, on the other. A desk stood facing the open window, which looked out over the orchard where he and Ginny had once played a two-a-side Quidditch with Ron and Hermione, and which now housed a large, pearly white marquee. The golden flag on top was level with Ginny's window.
Ginny looked up into Harry's face, took a deep breath, and said, "Happy seventheenth."
"Yeah...thanks."
She was looking at him steadily; he, however, found it difficult to look back at her; it was like gazing into a brilliant light.
"Nice view," he said feebly, point toward the window.
She ignored this. He could not blame her.
"I couldn't think what to get you," she said.
"You didn't have to get me anything."
She disregarded this too.
"I didn't know what would be useful. Nothing too big, because you wouldn't be able to take it with you."
He chanced a glance at her. She was not tearful; that was one of the many wonderful things about Ginny, she was rarely weepy. He had sometimes thought that having six brothers must have toughened her up.
She took a step closer to him.
"So then I thought, I'd like you to have something to remember me by, you know, if you meet some veela when you're off doing whatever you're doing."
"I think dating opportunities are going to be pretty thin on the ground, to be honest."
"There's the silver lining I've been looking for," she whispered, and then she was kissing him as she had never kissed him before, and Harry was kissing her back, and it was blissful oblivion, better than firewhisky; she was the only real thing in the world, Ginny, the feel of her, one hand at her back and one in her long, sweet-smelling hair -

-------------------------------------------------------

"There's the silver lining I've been looking for." GodDAMN what a line. That section, I reread it over and over and over last night before I went to bed. I spoke it outloud several times. I LOVE that part.

So yeah, I'm a huge softie. Completely overcome by romance. The sad aftermath of that all is that I feel particularly lonely. Is a little love too much to ask? Bah.

In other news, my new laptop FINALLY came today. Nearly two months after I ordered it. I'm never buying Lenovo again, they suck ass. But I held out because this is the only tablet with an integrated fingerprint reader I've found (the fingerprint reader is total sex). So hopefully I'll be able to get back to working on the Pebbleman in off moments at work again. Additionaly, while Vista isn't as utterly horrid as I thought, it's still terrible. Do not care for it.

Also, I've migrated all my posts over to Blogger (google enabled some spam protection, I was posting on that one quite a bit, as you well may imagine). I think I'll officially move over there permanently on the first of December so that the 4 billion posts in November don't make the page as long as your arm.

Posted by Taco @ 11/29/2007 10:01 AM PST
Hooray! Now I can set up the RSS feed in Thunderbird and never miss fett blog post goodness again!
Posted by fett @ 11/27/2007 07:59 PM PST
Blue, that wasn't my soft side. That was unadulterated lust. My soft side would be the candlelit dinner of fettucine di parma and a nice red wine with some Sinatra in the background...before we broke out the tarp and oil.

But yeah, total softie. Is it wrong that I really want someone to hold hands with? Good god, I'm pathetic.

Coyote, the new address is fettsday.blogspot.com.
Posted by Coyote @ 11/27/2007 05:54 PM PST
Yeah, you act like you've never seen a chick with oil and a tarp before. Prude.

What's the URL for your blogger thingy. Tell Coyote or I will eat your soul!
Posted by Bluejeangirlnc @ 11/27/2007 10:05 AM PST
I'm sooo freaking happy that you love Harry Potter! One of us! One of us!

Totally had you pinned for a softy by the way. You pretty much gave it away when that chick came in with the tarp and the oil and your tongue hit the floor. ;)

Love,
Blue

No comments: