Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Emily's quite content to go on with this life

First posted 8-10-07

Emily's quite content to go on with this life. She insists she's in love with me - whatever that is. What she means is she prefers the senseless pain we inflict on each other to the pain we would otherwise inflict on ourselves.

- Altered States

Well that just about sums it up for love, don't it.

So that line is from a movie called Altered States. In all honesty I have never seen it. Looking through the movie quotes has made me want to see it. Or at least added a reason to. The other major reason is that it was written by Paddy Chayefsky.

I have this thing for Paddy Chayefsky. That thing is called a hard-on. I love Paddy Chayefsky. I consider him probably the greatest film satirist of all time. Better than Preson Sturges (he was more of a farcist anyways)...(and now I sound totally pretentious).

Usually a good litmus test on whether any person you meet is cool or not is whether they have seen Network. If they haven't it doesn't mean they are not cool, but if they have, chances are they are cool. Network is a cool persons movie. It was written by Paddy Chayefsky. A lesser known but just as awesome Chayefsky film (and I say that as if he made the film but he didn't, he's not a director, just a writer, but his writing is so top notch that it makes the film and directors have been fired for trying to rewrite it) is called The Hospital. It stars George C. Scott and Chayefsky does for health care what he did for television in Network. I have become increasingly dissatisfied with the American Health Care Institution as I get older, so The Hospital agrees with me.

But what I really want to talk about today is my favorite Chayefsky film, one that is little known, but terribly awesome. It is called The Americanization of Emily. It's...it's hard to describe what it's about. It takes place during WWII, in England, shortly before the storming of Normandy. And it's about an American soldier who is a complete and unrequited coward and his romance with an english widow. And it's sort of Chayefsky taking on War. I haven't seen the movie in some time, and in fact I've only seen it once, but it is stuck firmly in my memory. I love this movie. And I just discovered that it recently came out on DVD so I will be purchasing it forthwith. I urge everyone to see this film.

Why do I bring it up? Well, this is the film that taught me it's ok to be a coward. I am a coward. I am. That's the way it is. But in 'Merica, being a coward is almost as big a sin as being gay (OMFG!!). It took me a while to come to grips with this. Coming out of proverbial closet, as it were. Just part of the process of self-discovery (hurray for knowing who you are!). This movie helped me realize it's more important to know who you are then what you should be. And the more you know (YO JOE!).

So how does that old saying go? A coward dies a thousand deaths, a hero..just five hundred? (Thank you The Music Man). No, a coward dies a thousand deaths, a hero just one. But that's not exactly true is it. What they mean to say is that a coward NEARLY dies a thousand deaths but lives on to nearly die a few more times, while the hero gets it done the first shot. That's what you get for over-acheiving. Frankly, I think the important part is the bit left out. NEARLY dies. Very important that you read the fine print on these old sayings.

This also fits in with why I think Rincewind is the best Terry Pratchett character. He is an unmitigated coward and he is awesome. Eddie Izzard does this comedy bit where he talks about Shaggy and Scooby as being universally beloved in all countries because they are cowardly characters. They believe in cowardice and sandwiches, and we root for them.

I have no idea why I'm talking about this. Just reflecting on my cowardice (mostly in terms of my relationship) this morning and I thought of the Americanization of Emily.

So yeah, as I posted elsewhere, I was going to see my girlfriend this weekend but her brother got in a major car accident and spent the night at the hospital, so I think that's off. It also explains why she didn't get a chance to talk to me last night. Even so, the extremely paranoid part of me is saying "oh how convenient, she asks you to come up on the fly when she's in a good mood but something comes up that ruins the plans later." I told you, I'm PARANOID. But another part of me really wants to believe her, and that part is much bigger. So I'm telling my paranoid part to shut the fuck up.

This is what the pills are for.

I need dried frog pills.

Also, still waiting for my detachable kneecaps.

Posted by Coyote @ 08/11/2007 01:16 PM PDT
You and your awesome taste in movies makes me want to touch your naughty bits. I trust you got the special edition of Network that was released. Totally worth a rebuy if you already have some other version. I must shamefully admit to never having seen The Hospital but I will correct this oversight forthwith.

Also my view of paranoia is that just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me. No, I will not go back on my meds thanks ever so.

No comments: