Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Pardon miss

First post 7-26-04

' "No, pardon Miss, I am only a stranger."
- Sleepy Hollow

The Chicago Diaries, Part II

Written Saturday, July 17, 2004.



I spoke to a girl today, a complete stranger. Just struck up a conversation. Riding on the El back from the Cubs game. I first noticed her on the Red Line just out of the Addison Station. She was very cute. Brown hair, shortish and a wide face, but what first caught my attention was her voice. She was talking to her friend (also cute, short black curly hair) and her voice was a lot like Adriana's. Low-pitched, very round vowels, pouty consonants, that little lisp. It was almost spot-on Adriana. Anyways, I snuck a glance or two her way but probably just freaked her out. Howard Station, end of the Red Line. Hop out and wait to catch the Purple Line to Linden and the car. Saw her on the platform but figured that was the end of that, but after we all filed into the train, I end up just inside the doors and so do they. Her friend gets off two stops later and she is faced with the uncomfortable prospect of me. She turns to look away and I notice her bag says American Crystallographic Society. And here is where I get a notion in my head to talk to her. I got the same feeling I got at Singing in the Rain when I asked Robert Osborne a question: if I don't take this oppurtunity I'll regret it for the rest of my life. So when she turns to face me I take it.
"Are you a cystallographer?" I ask.
"Yes."
"X-ray crystallography?"
"Yes...why?" and she gives me a very puzzled look.
I say, "I'm a microbiologist, I work with a lot of people that deal with crystallography."
"How did you know?" she asks.
Simultaneously as I say "your bag," she realizes is was her bag. Then I try to joke "oh you look like a crystallographer" which falls to the ground dead like a shot duck. She asked if I was at Northwestern and I explained how I was visiting family but I'm really in Georgia.

Cue Awkward Pause I.

"Polish?" I ask.
"Ukrainian."
"Oh I was close, you sound a lot like someone I work with at Georgia and she's Polish." Half smile from her.

Cue Awkward Pause II.

She noticed the Cubs hat I'm holding and asks if I went to the game. Grinning I say oh yes, good game, we won. Short pause. "Are you a Cubs fan?"
She stumbles a bit looking for the words, the "White...Sox?"
I reel and clutch my chest in mock dismay. She chuckles in what seems genuine amusement. I say "that's ok, I forgive you."

Awkward Pause III.

Train comes to the next stop.
Nervous, "I got to go. See you," as she hurries off the train.
"See you," I reply, knowing I'll never see her again. I have sincere doubts that really was her stop. I probably just scared her off.

Why do I write about this? Two reasons: 1. I am oddly proud of myself. Outside of the audacity of stricking up a conversation with a stranger (and forgetting that I probably scared the shit out of her) the oddest thing was my reaction. Normally in a situation like that my heart would be pounding and my vision would shake. But I was absolutely calm. Probably has something to do with the fact that absolutely nothing could have possibly happened. It was more satisfying curiousity than anything else. 2. To illustrate how strange life is in its perspective. To 99% of the population this event, this talking a strange girl, would be no big deal. To me it means the world. Just shows how interesting a guy writing about a small part of his, a common nothing, can be. The simplest things can be mysterious and wonderful viewed from a different perspective.

No comments: