Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My boss is cooler than your boss

First posted 8-28-07

In this post I will demonstrate that my boss is cooler than yours by posting a series of emails that went around the lab yesterday afternoon. The names have been changed to protect the innocent...except mine, cause I'm about as innocent as original sin.

Email the First



"a plethora of rotation students"

Hi everyone,

... not to be confused with a plethora of pinatas (what is the movie reference? Come on, no google searching please!)

As a number of you know, I have had quite a number of inquiries about rotations for this year, 9 so far. There are currently 6 confirmed rotation students (unless they change their mind later of course, but that is rare).

So far, I have managed to push everyone after the first rotation period, because I would prefer to wait until we have our additional lab space (current Hardboiled lab, to be shared with Jack Ripper).

Senior people in the lab should expect a high probability of being asked to mentor
someone for a rotation.

--Rupert



My reply:

Long have I awaited a mentor that could drop movie references on me, let alone movie references from The Three Amigos.

This is a happy, happy day.



His reply:

Indeed Patrick (and also Gertie who had the right reference)! For those of you who don't know the famous dialogue between Jefe and El Guapo, which sounds remarkably like a conversation between a mentor and a mentee ;-)

Jefe: We have many beautiful pinatas for your birthday celebration, each one filled with little surprises!
El Guapo: How many pinatas?
Jefe: Many pinatas, many!
El Guapo: Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?
Jefe: A what?
El Guapo: A *plethora*.
Jefe: Oh yes, El Guapo. You have a plethora.
El Guapo: Jefe, what is a plethora?
Jefe: Why, El Guapo?
El Guapo: Well, you just told me that I had a plethora, and I would just like to know if
you know what it means to have a plethora. I would not like to think that someone would tell someone else he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora.
Jefe: El Guapo, I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education,
but could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to
take it out on me?

For more quotes from this classic: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092086/quotes


--Rupert



Francis' contribution:

my little buttercup. . .



Ruperts reply:

...has the sweetest ... smile!



Francis' reply:

rupert. . .go back to work. .



Rupert's reply:

This is too much fun.

For those who have never seen these:

Search youtube for "The Three Amigos Sing My Little Buttercup"

and "El Guapo - Three Amigos"

(at this point, my boss "Rupert" was in his office watching clips from The Three Amigo's on YouTube)



Tell me, is your boss cooler than that? I thought not.

Posted by Taco @ 08/29/2007 01:06 PM PDT
Your boss may be cooler than mine, but mine is currently in another country, so he's temporarily preferable ^_^
Posted by fett @ 08/29/2007 09:59 AM PDT
Hush you, you're just jealous that my boss is cooler than yours. I can see your jealousy. I can taste it...and it tastes....gooooooooooood.
Posted by Coyote @ 08/28/2007 05:59 PM PDT
While on the surface he does seem like a cool cat and is much cooler than any boss I have (granted, that ain't hard) he lost MAJOR points for saying mentee.

I fucking hate that annoying little non-word. It drives me fucking crazy! Protege! Say protege you fuckers!!

*pantpantpant*

*ahem*

Right then. I usually play the movie line game with Noq but he's not my boss except in the sense that he sometimes gets to have the whip and I follow his commands.

No comments: