Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Holy crap

First posted 8-12-04

I got ANOTHER story idea this morning, well, actually last night. It's a melding of two things.

First, a long time ago a friend of mine sent me a little excerpt from a story idea he had. In fact, this is the same guy that designed the logo I use (and am considering for a tattoo, damn you James). It was called "The Prophet". Only, when he sent me the file, it was just like that, and when Windows gets a file that has spaces in it, depending on the program and site and what-not, sometimes it will insert a "%20" in the space. So the file, once saved, was "The%20Prophet", which I always remembered as "The 20% Prophet." And that gave me the idea for a character. A Prophet that only gets predictions correct 20% of the time.

Last night I was reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman (freaking hysterical book, Pratchett humor on the Apocalypse) and there is a book by a prophet, the only one that actually contains correct prophecies, by the name of Agnes Nutter. Anyways, something in the story triggered this thought in my head. Everybody who reads prophecies wants to hear about the big stuff. War, famine, end of the world, fame, glory, power, money, love, etc. Nobody wants to hear a prophecy about how in 4 weeks they are going to have an absolutely incredible ham sandwich. Even if it is correct. So I got the idea for another character. A prophet whose predictions are 100% spot on, but on incredibly insignificant events.

I think I need to put these two characters together and add a few more and make a group of Small Minded Prophets. I haven't gotten any farther than that in the idea, but I think it has promise.

Comedic promise.

No comments: