Sunday, November 11, 2007

Florida

First posted 6-4-04

"Why, it's the most exclusive residential district in Florida. Nobody lives there."
- The Cocoanuts (Marx brothers)

The New Orleans Diary, Addendum Part I

I found this as I cleaned out my backpack. It's a post-it notepad from my first ASM convention in Orlando, Florida. I used it to write my thoughts back then, much like I did in New Orleans. It kind of sums up my thoughts on travelling.



Florida depresses me. It's the dispassionate familiarity of it all. One expects to travel a thousand miles to step into another world. Instead I stay inthe same Red Roof Inn next to the same Red Lobster, the same McDonalds, the same 7-11 that exist back home. There is nothing new here. Just parkway medians grown with palm trees instead of maples. It is sad. The only difference here is the wild-life. There aren't many squirrels, more likely one is to see a lizard or a toad or a mouse go rushing into the brush. Though this is nice, it is only a subtle difference, and hardly worth making the trip.



I also wrote down a dream I had while I was there. I think I'll post that tomorrow.

No comments: