Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My name is Buro Houtenfaust

First posted 8-20-07

My name is Buro Houtenfaust. I was named for a Saint who was a very wealthy man. He had the wine, the women, the songs, the whole bit, and then inexplicably, took a vow of poverty and became a hermit. Ran off to live in the forest, in the nude.

- The Saint

Todays new saint, Saint Tim the Dextrous, patron saint of brackets, goatees, those excommunicated from the Church and NINJA FINGERS.

Also, I would now like to do a dramatic reading from the Principia Discordia:

Greater Poop: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
GP: Even false things?
M2: Even false things are true.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.

I thank you. I love that passage.

Okay, I don't really have anything to post today. I just wanted to post for some reason.

Ummmmmm

Oh yeah, Inga is awesome, not that she doesn't know that already. Sorry I can't make your birthday but um....see the coward section of this blog, thank you. But it's awesome you invited me, it strangely means a lot.

I've been reading some today about Zen koans. They are odd things. But that article has introduced me to the wonderful phrase "do not confuse the pointing finger with the moon". That phrase is just all sorts of awesome. A koan is a question that is unanswerable or a situation that seems absurd. The point of them, as far as I can tell, is to alter the state of thinking. To give up what you assume you know and approach a question from a new direction. Therefore the answer to a koan is not as important as the thought getting to that answer. The purpose is to reach a Realization. The phrase is a warning from Zen masters to their students about interpreting koans. It is one thing to read an interpretation of a koan and understand it, but another to reach that understanding through altered thought yourself. Do not confuse the pointing finger with the moon.

Also, one of my fish died. I'm not terribly upset about it. It had been sick. It hadn't been eating and was getting thinner. And it's not like it's a dog or cat, you can't bring it in to the vet and go "what's wrong?" It's a fish, maybe it was old. I am doing a really good job taking care of my fish tank, the water is in good balance, the feeding is going well. There's not much more that I could have done. Sometimes you just get a fish that ain't right. The only thing to do is go get another fish and hope that it's a hardy sucker. Which I am going to do tonight.

Posted by Coyote @ 08/21/2007 05:48 PM PDT
*glee*

First round is on me!
Posted by fett @ 08/21/2007 11:09 AM PDT
Yes, your lusciousness, I am still coming to TacoCon. I have enough advance notice on that one.
Posted by Coyote @ 08/20/2007 07:42 PM PDT
I once confused my pointing finger with my middle finger. That was awkward. You're still coming to TacoCon, right?

No comments: